Epson 890 Stylus Pro SP7890K3 Series Eco-Solvent Printer
For more than a decade, Epson has set the standard by which all other photographic printing technologies are judged. So, when we decided to develop an entirely new generation of photographic printing technology, the significance of this effort inspired our engineers to rethink everything.
Security policy (edit with Customer reassurance module)
Delivery policy (edit with Customer reassurance module)
Return policy (edit with Customer reassurance module)
Introducing the new Epson Stylus Pro 7890 and 9890 printers
Representing a new standard of excellence, the Epson Stylus Pro 890 series incorporates our latest achievements in photographic ink jet technology. By combining the precision of our MicroPiezo® TFP® print head with the proven performance of our eight-color Epson UltraChrome K3® with Vivid Magenta, our newest generation of Epson Stylus Pro printers continue to represent a level of technology unprecedented in Epson's history.
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta utilizes eight colors - including auto-switching Photo and Matte Black inks - while setting the benchmark standard for the industry. Even more remarkable, by combining them with our new AccuPhoto™ HD screening technology, Epson has once again raised the level of print quality.
Our advanced Epson MicroPiezo TFP print head is capable of producing higher quality prints, at speeds almost twice as fast as our previous generation. And, with our latest ink-repelling coating and auto nozzle verification technologies, clogged nozzles are virtually eliminated.
Like our higher-end Epson Stylus Pro 900 series printers, Epson has developed, in partnership with X-Rite®, a high performance, in-line spectrophotometer for commercial proofing applications. When driven by the latest front-end RIPs, the SpectroProofer® can automate virtually any color management process in your workflow.
With printers capable of handling virtually any media type, in roll or cut sheets, up to 24 or 44 inches wide, Epson continues to set the standard for professional media use. Whether producing sellable color or black-and-white photography, point-of-sale signage, or even color accurate commercial proofs for client approvals, creative professionals now have a powerful tool allowing them to produce their vision without compromise.
With every new introduction of an Epson Stylus Pro printer, we continue to innovate and refine the overall experience. With the introduction of our latest Epson Stylus Pro 890 series printers, Epson is once again redefining what's possible from photographic ink jet printing.
Welcome to a new standard of excellence.
* Price is MSRP before any applicable rebate. Dealer prices may vary. All prices are in U.S. Dollars
Representing a new standard of excellence, the Epson Stylus Pro 890 series incorporates our latest achievements in photographic ink jet technology. By combining the precision of our MicroPiezo庐 TFP庐 print head with the proven performance of our eight-color Epson UltraChrome K3庐 with Vivid Magenta, our newest generation of Epson Stylus Pro printers continue to represent a level of technology unprecedented in Epson's history.
High-Precision Eight-Channel Epson MicroPiezo TFP Print Head
• Thin Film Piezo (TFP) print head design capable of handling eight separate ink channels
• One-inch wide high-performance print head with 360 nozzles per channel
• Auto-sharing black ink channel technology
• Low vibration meniscus control for highly accurate dot shape and placement
• All-new ink-repelling coating to dramatically reduce nozzle clogging
• Produces variable-sized droplets as small as 3.5 picoliter to greatly decrease print times while optimizing photographic quality
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink Technology
• Industry-defining, 8-Color, Pigment-Based Ink System
• Unique formulation of Magenta pigments for extreme blues and purples
• Designed to work with Epson AccuPhoto HD screening technology
• Professional print permanence ratings
• Outstanding short-term color stability for mission-critical Improved Microcrystal Encapsulation™ technology for reduced gloss differential
• Exceptional black density up to 2.6 with an L* value ~3.0*
* Dmax and L* values are based on Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper (260)
AccuPhoto™ HD Screening
• Advanced screening algorithm, resulting in prints with superior color and clarity
• Maximum resolution of 2880 x 1440 dpi for incredibly sharp text and line art
• Produces extremely fine blends and photographic transitions
• Extremely accurate highlight-to-shadow detail
• No visible photographic graininess due to the printing process*
• Ensures consistent color balance regardless of the viewing light source
• When combined with the precise dot placement accuracy of the Epson MicroPiezo TFP print head, overall photographic print quality is dramatically improved
* Photographic graininess could still be visible if present in the actual file being printed.
• Unique production technology to ensure printer-to-printer color consistency
• Colorimetric calibration is performed during the manufacturing process
• This process automatically evaluates and adjusts the color performance of each printer produced
• The result is extreme color repeatability for demanding color performance over time
• Completely eliminates the need for internal printer calibration devices or procedures
Automatic Nozzle Verification and Cleaning
• Embedded sensors quickly verify nozzle status without using media
Automatic Print Head Alignment
• Built-in sensor performs highly precise alignments of all color channels
• Aligns both single and bi-directional print modes
Three-Level Black Ink Technology
• Simultaneously uses Black, Light Black, and Light Light Black inks
• Significantly improves the gray balance while eliminating colorcasts
• Outstanding highlight-to-shadow grayscale accuracy for a smoother tonal range
• Virtually eliminates any bronzing of the basic pigment chemistry
• Enhances the ICC profiling process for ColorSync® and ICM™ workflows
Automatic Black Ink Mode Switching
• Both Photo and Matte Black ink cartridges are installed
• Depending upon your media type or driver setting, the printer will automatically switch
• Switching can occur automatically or provide a warning before proceeding
• Highly-efficient print head design ensures fast switching with minimal ink usage
• Automatically ensures optimum black ink density, regardless of media type used
Professional Media Handling
• Compatible with virtually any media type, in roll or cut sheets, up to 24 or 44 inches wide
• Accurate loading of cut-sheet media, up to 1.5mm thick posterboard
• All media is front-loaded via a unique straight-through media path
• Printer and driver based media identification and synchronization system for virtually error-free media use
• Media bin safely captures multiple prints up to 24" x 36" or 44" x 36"
• Optional Automatic Take-up Reel System for unattended production of large print runs (SP9890 only)
ePlaten™ Media Loading Technology
• Accurate automatic media loading, movement, and tracking
• Electronically controlled roll media rewind and take-up
• Automatic roll media rewind upon media release
• Simplifies the overall roll and cut-sheet media loading process
Spindle-Free Roll Media Loading
• User-adjustable roll media adapters accepts either 2- or 3-inch media cores
• Simple tension lever ensures quick and secure media core loading
• Designed with Epson ePlaten technology for highly-accurate roll media usage
• Additional media adapter pairs available as an accessory for efficient roll media switching
Roll Media Length Tracking and Identification System
• Real-time automatic remaining roll media length counter
• Automatic bar code tagging of remaining roll media information for faster reloading
• Very useful for tracking partially used media rolls
High Performance Rotary Cutting System
• Durable rotary cutter, designed to be virtually maintenance free
• High performance cutting speeds - cuts 24" to 44" wide rolls in under two seconds
• Off-carriage cutting system eliminates media dust within critical components
• Capable of cutting virtually any media type, including most canvas and fine art papers
High Performance Print Engine Speeds
Utilizing our latest print head technology, the Epson Stylus Pro 7890 and 9890 series printers are among the fastest wide-format printers in the industry.
Print Mode 16" x 20" 20" x 30" 40" x 60" (9890 only)
Fine - 720 dpi 'Production Mode' 1:53 4:03 12:26
Fine - 720 dpi HS* 2:53 5:03 15:26
SuperFine - 1440 dpi HS* 3:47 6:39 24:20
SuperPhoto - 2880 dpi HS* 7:14 12:52 40:05
* HS = High-Speed Print Mode (Bi-directional Print Mode) | Print speeds are shown in min:sec
Production Mode = HS + Super MicroWeave 'Off'
Epson Intelligent High-Capacity Ink System
• Pressurized ink cartridge technology ensures reliable ink delivery at all print speeds, while dramatically reducing the physical size of the ink cartridges
• Eleven individual ink cartridges; available in 150ml, 350ml, and 700ml fill volumes
• On-the-fly ink cartridge replacement for increased productivity
• Mix and match across all three ink cartridge sizes
Easy-to-Use Front Control Panel
• High-resolution 2.5" color LCD for improved viewing of printer status
• Simple button layout for all navigation and basic printer functions
SpectroProofer® 24 and 44
• Optional 24- or 44-inch wide spectrophotometer developed jointly with X-Rite®
• Simple installation fits cleanly into the front of the Epson Stylus Pro 7890 and 9890
• Incorporates a high-performance X-Rite ILS20 spectrophotometer for extreme measurement accuracy below 0.2 dE-CMC
• UV-cut and non-UV-cut versions available at time of purchase
• Both black or white interchangeable backing plates included
• Built-in print dryer to accelerate the dry-down and reading process
• When driven by the latest software RIP front-ends, Epson SpectroProofer can automate virtually any color management process in your workflow
• Standard connectivity includes one USB 2.0 and one 10/100 BaseT Ethernet port
• Professional Epson Photographic Drivers for Macintosh® and Windows®
• Fully supported by most leading third party RIPs and workflows
World Class Service and Support
• Includes one-year of limited coverage under the Epson Preferred Protection Plan with toll-free telephone support available Monday through Friday and usually next-business-day on-site service
• Optional one- or two-year Epson Preferred Plus service plans available
EFI® eXpress for Epson included with Designer Edition Bundles
• Easy-to-Use intuitive interface saves time and produces accurate output.
• Print directly from the latest creative design software, or drag-and-drop files to a hot folder.
• True Adobe® PDF and Postscript 3 print engine ensures compatibility with your design files.
• Professional ICC color management, based on BestColor technology used in the commercial EFI Colorproof XF RIP offered with the Epson Proofing Edition Series.
• Handles both CMYK data for accurate proofing to industry standards, and RGB data for exceptional results with Photography and Fine Art.
• Reproduces accurate spot colors with the included PANTONE, DIC, HKS, and TOYO libraries.
• True cross platform network printing via hot folder or eXpress Virtual Print technology.
• Software supported on both Macintosh OS X and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
• Includes Epson media support out of the box, and the ability to add custom media types.
*Note: EFI eXpress does not support spectrophotometers, including Epson's SpectroProofer.
Base Printing Technology
Advanced MicroPiezo TFP print head with ink repelling coating technology
8-channel, drop-on-demand, ink jet print head
9-cartridge configured as:
C, Lc, VM, VLm, Y, Lk, LLk + PK or MK
Auto head alignment and cleaning technology
Auto sharing black ink channel
Professional-level pigment-based ink technology
Printer Nozzle Configuration
Color and Monochrome 360 nozzles x 8
Smallest droplet size 3.5 picoliters
Variable Droplet Technology produces up to three different droplet sizes per print line
2880 x 1440 dpi; 1440 x 1440 dpi; 1440 x 720 dpi;
720 x 720 dpi; 720 x 360 dpi; 360 x 360 dpi
Print Engine SpeedsA
16" x 20" prints from 1:53 to 7:14 Normal is 3:47
20" x 30" prints from 4:03 to 12:52 Normal is 6:39
40" x 60" prints from 12:26 to 40:05 Normal is 24:20
Acoustic Noise Level
Approximately 45 dB(A) according to ISO 7779
Operating Systems Supported
Macintosh Leopard 10.5, Snow Leopard 10.6,
or Lion 10.7 (Intel based)
Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit)
Includes as standard one Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (1.1 compatible) and one Ethernet port (10/100Base-T)
SP7890 54" (W) x 27" (D) x 48" (H) Weight: 187 lb
SP9890 74" (W) x 27" (D) x 48" (H) Weight: 256 lb
Dimensions and weight include printer stand
BorderFree® Roll Printing
Left and right borderless "bleed" printing for the following roll media widths:
SP7890 10", 13", 16", 17", 24"
SP9890 10", 13", 16", 17", 24", 36", 44"
Top and bottom edges can be automatically cut to any length when printing on roll media.
Optional SpectroProofer (24/44)
Carriage mechanism 24" or 44" wide
Spectrophotometer X-Rite ILS20EP
Measurement accuracy Below 0.50 dE94
Minimum patch size 7 mm x 15 mm
Measurement time 15 patches per second
UV handling UV and UV-cut version available (at time of order)
Backing color White and black backing plates included
Media Thickness Up to 18 point (0.45 mm)
Temperature Sensor Both internal/external temperature readings
Workflow integration Most leading third-party RIPs and workflows. Fully supported by the Epson Proofing Edition Series.
Maximum paper width
Maximum printable width
Left and right margins 0 to 3 mm each (0.24" total)
Maximum printable length Limited by application, OS, and driver/RIP used
Minimum paper width 210 mm (8.27")
SP7890 Single roll up to 24" wide
SP9890 Single roll up to 44" wide
SP7890 Cut-sheet up to 24" wide (auto-loading)
SP9890 Cut-sheet up to 44" wide (auto-loading)
Roll media take-up reel Auto forward and backward;
(SP9890 only) Light-based media tension sensor
Media core compatibility User-adjustable roll media adapters accept either 2" or 3" media cores
Max. roll media diameter 6" (when using a 3" core)
Media weight 12 lb bond up to 1.5 mm posterboard
Minimum sheet size 8.27" x 11"
Built-in media cutter Rotary cutting, automatic and manual
Epson Intelligent Pressurized Ink CartridgesB
Starter cartridge fill volume 110 ml x 9 total colors (used for initial fill at setup)
Replacement cartridge fill volume 150 ml, 350 ml or 700 ml, each color x 9 colors total
Ink cartridge shelf life (recommended) 2 years from production date or 6 months after open
Display Permanence RatingsC
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink
Color Up to 200 years
Black-and-White Over 200 years
Epson PreciseColor™ Manufacturing
In order to ensure consistent printing between multiple Epson Stylus Pro printers of the same model, Epson has refined the manufacturing process to include colorimetric calibration. This process evaluates and adjusts each printer's performance at the manufacturing stage, ensuring consistent color output from printer-to-printer and print-to-print.
Products and Accessory Part Numbers
Product Description SP7890 SP9890
Epson Stylus Pro Printer SP7890K3 SP9890K3
Epson Stylus Pro
Designer Edition SP7890DES SP9890DES
Epson SpectroProofer SPECTRO24 SPECTRO44
UV-Cut Filter Version SPECTRO24UV SPECTRO44UV
Automatic Take-up Reel System Not Available C12C815321
Replacement 44" Take-up Reel Core Not Available C815121
Additional Roll Media Adapters C12C811241 C12C811241
Cutter Blade C12C815331 C12C815331
Maintenance Tank C12C890191 C12C890191
Additional One-year Epson Preferred Plus Service EPP7898B1 EPP7898B1
Additional Two-year Epson Preferred Plus Service EPP7897B2 EPP7898B2
Additional One-year Epson Preferred Plus Service (SpectroProofer Only) EPPSPB1 EPPSPB1
Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink
Ink Cartridge (150 ml) (350 ml) (700 ml)
Photo Black T642100 T596100 T636100
Cyan T642200 T596200 T636200
Vivid Magenta T642300 T596300 T636300
Yellow T642400 T596400 T636400
Light Cyan T642500 T596500 T636500
Vivid Light Magenta T642600 T596600 T636600
Light Black T642700 T596700 T636700
Matte Black T642800 T596800 T636800
Light Light Black T642900 T596900 T636900
A Based upon print engine speed only. Total throughput times depend upon front-end RIP, file size, printer resolution, ink coverage, networking, etc. Normal Mode based on SuperFine - 1440 dpi.
B Cartridge yields vary considerably for reasons including images printed, print settings, temperature and humidity. Yields may be lower when printing infrequently or predominantly with one ink color. A variable amount of ink remains in the cartridge after the "replace cartridge" signal. Part of the ink from the first cartridges is used for priming the printer. Ink is used for both printing and print head maintenance. All inks are used for both black and color printing. For more information about cartridges see www.epson.com/cartridgeinfo
C Display permanence rating based on accelerated testing of prints on specialty media displayed indoors under glass. Actual print stability will vary according to media, printed image, display conditions, light intensity, humidity and atmospheric conditions. Epson does not guarantee longevity of prints. For maximum print life, display all prints under glass or lamination or properly store them.